Eggplant gratin is a delicious vegetarian main dish that is perfect for serving at a dinner party or for a weeknight family meal. Eggplant is baked until tender and layered with a cheesy béchamel sauce creating a rich and comforting gratin. We will share gratin d aubergine recette recipe in this post.
The key to a great eggplant gratin is salting the eggplant before baking to draw out any bitterness. This recipe can be customized in many ways by adding different herbs, vegetables, or cheese to make it your own. Serve it alongside a salad and bread for a satisfying meatless meal.
Table of Contents
To make a delicious Delicious Gratin D Aubergine Recette recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
For this recipe, you will need the following kitchen equipment:
- Baking dish
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice the eggplants into 1/4 inch-thick rounds.
- Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil.
- Season the eggplant slices with salt and pepper.
- Roast the eggplant slices in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet and sauté until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Cook the tomato sauce for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Remove the roasted eggplant slices from the oven and let them cool slightly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the shredded mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Grease a baking dish with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Arrange a layer of roasted eggplant slices in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top the eggplant slices with a layer of the tomato sauce mixture, followed by a sprinkle of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of cheese on top.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves before serving.
Now that your Eggplant Gratin is assembled, it’s time to cook it to perfection.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) if you haven’t already.
- Place the foil-covered baking dish in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the foil to allow the cheese to brown and bubble.
- Continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Once the Eggplant Gratin is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the Eggplant Gratin warm, garnished with fresh basil leaves.
If you want to customize your Eggplant Gratin to suit your dietary preferences or restrictions, here are a few variations you can try:
- Gluten-Free: Substitute breadcrumbs with gluten-free breadcrumbs or crushed gluten-free crackers.
- Vegan: Replace the cheese with your favorite vegan alternatives, such as dairy-free shredded cheese or nutritional yeast.
- Low-Carb: Instead of using regular breadcrumbs, use almond meal or crushed pork rinds for a low-carb coating.
- Spicy: Add some heat to your gratin by sprinkling red pepper flakes or adding diced jalapeños to the tomato sauce mixture.
- Mediterranean: Enhance the flavors by adding sliced black olives, artichoke hearts, and crumbled feta cheese between the layers.
Feel free to get creative and experiment with different ingredients to make the Eggplant Gratin your own!
Tips and Tricks
To ensure your Eggplant Gratin turns out perfectly, here are some helpful tips and tricks:
- Choose eggplants that are firm and shiny without any soft spots or blemishes.
- Salting the eggplant slices before roasting them helps draw out excess moisture and improves their texture.
- If you’re short on time, you can skip the roasting step and layer the raw eggplant slices directly in the baking dish.
- For added flavor, you can sauté the eggplant slices in a skillet with olive oil instead of roasting them in the oven.
- Let the Eggplant Gratin cool for a few minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
- This dish tastes even better when reheated, making it a great option for meal prep or leftovers.
Eggplant Gratin is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with various accompaniments. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve the Eggplant Gratin as a main course accompanied by a fresh green salad and crusty bread.
- Pair it with a side of pasta, rice, or quinoa for a more substantial meal.
- Drizzle some balsamic glaze over the gratin before serving to add a tangy sweetness.
- Serve alongside grilled chicken, steak, or fish for a complete and satisfying meal.
Feel free to get creative with your serving suggestions and make the Eggplant Gratin the centerpiece of a delicious and wholesome meal.
While Eggplant Gratin is a decadent and flavorful dish, it’s always good to know the nutritional information. Here’s an approximate breakdown per serving:
- Calories: 265
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fat: 19g
- Fiber: 4g
Please note that the nutritional values may vary depending on the specific ingredients and quantities used.
Storage and Leftovers
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply place the gratin in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
We hope you enjoy this delicious Eggplant Gratin recipe! Have you tried it? Share your feedback with us in the comments below. We’d love to hear about your experience and any variations you tried. Don’t forget to share your mouthwatering photos on social media and tag us for a chance to be featured! Remember, cooking is all about having fun and experimenting, so feel free to put your own twist on this recipe. Happy cooking!