The sweet aroma of apples and cinnamon is one of the classic scents of autumn. This Swedish Apple Cake captures those cozy fall flavors in a simple coffee cake that can be whipped up anytime you have a craving. Thinly sliced apples are layered into a buttery cake batter creating pockets of fruity flavor in each bite. A sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on top adds a hint of spice and crunch. Serve this cake for breakfast or dessert – the whole family will love it!
Table of Contents
Ingredients You Will Need For Swedish Apple Cake Recipe
To make this Swedish apple cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4-5 medium-sized apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
Before you begin, make sure you have the following kitchen tools and equipment ready:
- Mixing bowls
- Whisk or electric mixer
- 9-inch round cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Cooling rack
Each item serves a specific purpose in the recipe. The mixing bowls and whisk are essential for combining the dry and wet ingredients. The spatula helps to fold the sliced apples into the batter. The round cake pan and parchment paper ensure easy removal of the cake from the pan. Finally, the cooling rack allows the cake to cool evenly.
Let’s start by preparing the ingredients:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples. Set them aside in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Efficient preparation is key to a smooth cooking process. To save time, you can peel and slice the apples while preheating the oven. Whisking the dry ingredients beforehand ensures a uniform distribution of flavors in the cake.
Now let’s dive into the cooking process:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the sliced apples until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Throughout the cooking process, ensure that you mix the ingredients gently but thoroughly. The apples should be evenly incorporated into the batter, providing delightful bursts of flavor with every bite. Keep an eye on the cake while it bakes, as cooking times may vary depending on your oven.
For those with dietary restrictions or different preferences, here are a few variations you can try:
- Gluten-free: Substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
- Vegan: Replace the eggs with flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water per egg) and use a non-dairy milk alternative.
- Nut-free: Omit any nuts that may be present in the recipe.
These changes may affect the texture and taste of the final dish, so it’s important to experiment and adjust accordingly.
Tips and Tricks
To achieve the best results with your Swedish apple cake recipe, keep the following tips and tricks in mind:
- Choose apples that are slightly tart for a balanced flavor. Granny Smith or Honeycrisp are great options.
- Slicing the apples thinly ensures even distribution throughout the cake.
- For added texture, sprinkle some chopped nuts or oats on top of the batter before baking.
- Serve the cake warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delightful treat.
Avoid common mistakes by not overmixing the batter and accurately following the measurements. These tips will help you create a cake that is moist, flavorful, and visually appealing.
To present your Swedish apple cake in the best way, consider the following serving suggestions:
- Dust the cake with powdered sugar before serving for an extra touch of elegance.
- Cut the cake into wedges and serve with a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Pair the cake with a cup of hot coffee or tea for a cozy and comforting experience.
These accompanying elements enhance the overall taste and presentation of the cake, making it a truly delightful dessert.
While indulging in this delicious treat, it’s good to be aware of its basic nutritional information:
- Calories: Approximately 250 per serving
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fat: 11g
Along with being a tasty treat, Swedish apple cake also offers health benefits from the apples used. Apples are a great source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants.
Storage and Leftovers
If you happen to have any leftovers, here’s how you can store and reheat them:
- Allow the cake to cool completely before storing.
- Place the cake in an airtight container or cover it tightly with plastic wrap.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place a slice of cake in the microwave for 20-30 seconds or in an oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
The cake will retain its moisture and flavor when stored correctly, providing you with a tasty treat even on subsequent days.
We hope you enjoyed learning about this delicious Swedish apple cake recipe. We would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Feel free to leave a comment below and share your feedback. We are committed to responding to your comments and engaging with our audience, so don’t hesitate to reach out.
Remember, cooking is a joyful and creative process. Adapt the recipe to suit your preferences, experiment with different variations, and make it your own. Happy baking!